TRUTH

TRUTH will always triumph. TRUTH is Revealed, Absolute, Propositional, Transcendent, Incarnate and Transforming!

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Homeless

What does the term "homeless" mean to you? Do you have any idea of the daily routine of people who are homeless? No privacy. No hygene. No sense of belonging with significance. In many cases, no relationships that are shaped by trust and mutual respect. A profound absence or lack of purpose.

Today I had lunch with about 75 homeless people - both genders. One man who sat in fornt of me had his blanket folded up and he used it for a chair cushion. I imagine tonight it will protect him from the damp and chill of the night air. It is probably the closest thing he has to "a home". Another man carried an extra pair of shoes.

They received an offering. Those who chose to participate came up and put their mammon in a red bucket. No gold plated plates here. Not even any ushers to 'pass the plate". Just simple sacrifice.

Now the contrast. Yesterday I was notified of my acceptance into an area Club. This grants my wife and I privileges at area Country Clubs, Golf Courses and other fine Clubs around the country and the world when I am traveling. I come "home". I did not eat lunch today ( Mac & Cheese, Baked Chicken, Green Beans and a LARGE piece of cake). I just observed and prayed.

The difference between me and those surrounding me today is largely an issue of God's Sovereign rule and reign among the nations of the earth. I am surely not deserving. I am as wretched a sinner as those I was seated with. Home is truly a blessed place. Warmth. Stability. Space. Control.

Pray for those who are in the grip of this plight. Sure, many or most of them made choices along the way that put them in this situation. My God cares about them as I do. I will dine with them again. I will try to grasp the heart of a man whose 'home' is his blanket. Pray with me. What canwe do that matters for time and for eternity?

No comments:

Post a Comment