TRUTH

TRUTH will always triumph. TRUTH is Revealed, Absolute, Propositional, Transcendent, Incarnate and Transforming!

Monday, July 12, 2010

Boccie Ball & Intentional Disciplemaking

#22 July 12, 2010

Part 1

This past Sunday was my wife's birthday. Our second son and family joined us for a celebration. Eric & I went to Verizon to address several issues with our phone service through that provider. Got EXCELLENT service from a competent and pleasant Verizon Representative. Refreshing.

Not wanting to waste the ambiance of such excellence we then went directly to STARBUCKS and enjoyed a coffee together sitting in those comfortable leather lounge chairs reading the sports page and enjoying the phenomenal relationship that God has blessed us with as Father/Son. As a wimpy act of pseudo-repentance and confession, Eric got his wife a sugary STARBUCKS to go.

Part 2

Nic & Drew wanted to have a little testosterone stimulation so we played a round of Boccie Ball. This is where the application enters the story. Intentional Disciple-making is a life-on-life endeavor. Those Boccie Balls are just colorful excuses to joust and 'buck up' as only guys understand. Pops kicked their kiester but good. Old but wise.

The fruit of this is evidenced in Drew choosing to 'ride home with Pops' after our Sunday AM service. We first put some icing on the cake in my main office. I talked with Drew about the thousands of books in my library. I showed him the obituaries inside Elements of Style by E.B. White, The Effective Executive by Peter Drucker, an essay by William Buckley in my huge Random House Dictionary about the absolute meaning of words. He noticed his picture on my credenza. He remembered what I had said at his Veterans Day Celebration at his school two years earlier and quoted my words back to me verbatim! He simply wanted to 'be with me'. What an honor.

Unknown to them but known to our God is the fact that earlier that Saturday morning while Nic & Drew were sound asleep, I stood in the bedroom and thanked our God for their lives and asked that He use them richly to glorify Christ. There are no words to describe adequately the joy of interceding for those who bear your name in the quiet of the morning. A treasure that exceeds accounting.

You see, those Boccie Balls are just a convenient way to throw a little testosterone around and do some life on life stuff. What a joy. Make Disciples and do it life on life - the only way!

No comments:

Post a Comment