TRUTH

TRUTH will always triumph. TRUTH is Revealed, Absolute, Propositional, Transcendent, Incarnate and Transforming!

Saturday, October 3, 2009

Rest

Today is typically the "Sabbath" for Pastors. For Type A Leaders, rest is an issue that requires intentional and relentless effort. The call to "be still & know" is sadly a foreign exercise. I uderstand Sabbath to require:

1. Rest - a complete change of routine.
2. Recreation - engage those activities or not that refresh you in every conceivable manner.
3. Worship - Focused & intentional delight in the presence & person of our God.
4. Reflection - an honest and unhurried examination of all relationships; horizontal & vertical.

I do not wear a watch on Saturday. I sometimes do not even get 'dressed'. I enjoy dining on those culinary delights that I do not normally consume. I enjoy simple conversation with my wife on a whole variety of topics. I pray. I read the Bible (now on my Blackberry in multiple translations). I call friends that I can laugh with. I watch a squirrel try to drink from our pool without falling in.

Sabbath Rest. Fasting. Silence. Solitude. These are just a few of the Spiritual Disciplines that for me require focused intentional effort. So, how are YOU measuring up on this delightful piece of wisdom our God calls us to?

Now for my green recliner and a good nap. Now that is one fine exercise!!

No comments:

Post a Comment