TRUTH

TRUTH will always triumph. TRUTH is Revealed, Absolute, Propositional, Transcendent, Incarnate and Transforming!

Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Ezekiel & The Shepherds of Israel



Ezekiel 34 is a frightening chapter. It records the judgment of God upon those charged with caring for God’s people, his sheep. Those Shepherds failed miserably at this task. They engaged in selfish ‘me first’ narcissism. Read the words of God’s indictment against them:

Ezekiel 34:4 The weak you have not strengthened, the sick you have not healed, the injured you have not bound up, the strayed you have not brought back, the lost you have not sought, and with force and harshness you have ruled them.

The text of Scripture is very clear and precise concerning the role of Shepherds.

James 3:1 Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers, for you know that we who teach will be judged with greater strictness.

It has been my practice for 47 years to engage in self examination. Each week on Friday at noon I looked back over the week just completed and ahead to the week before me. I endeavored to honestly assess my leadership from God’s perspective. This was sometimes quite painful. There were failures that required repentance and God’s gracious forgiveness. There were triumphs to be celebrated. I sought to be well prepared for the challenges ahead. Ephesians 6 provides a detailed profile of how we must be clothed and equipped for the battles that are before us.

The New Year is a great opportunity to examine your effectiveness as a Shepherd of God’s people. Look at both what you did that was wrong and what you failed to do that you should have. Make the necessary modifications in your leadership.

Pastor we serve a God that is gracious and merciful beyond your wildest comprehension. Go to him. Confess. Repent. Then bask in his glorious mercy and enabling grace. He loves you and he loves his people. He blesses his people through you. What an amazing way to invest the life that he gives.

Help, LORD, to whom for help I fly,
And still my tempted soul to stand by
Throughout the evil day;
The sacred watchfulness impart,
And keep the issues of my heart,
And stir me up to pray

My soul with thy whole armor arm;
In each approach of sin alarm,
And show the danger near:
Surround, sustain, and strengthen me,
And fill with godly jealousy
And sanctifying fear.        

(Charles Wesley)



No comments:

Post a Comment