TRUTH

TRUTH will always triumph. TRUTH is Revealed, Absolute, Propositional, Transcendent, Incarnate and Transforming!

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The Unexamined BLOG

I’m sure you’ve read this quote before: “The unexamined life is not worth living.” Socrates said that at his trial for heresy. He was on trial for encouraging his students to challenge the accepted beliefs of the time and think for themselves. The sentence was death but Socrates had the option of suggesting an alternative punishment. He could have chosen life in prison or exile, and would likely have avoided death.

But Socrates believed that these alternatives would rob him of the only thing that made life useful: Examining the world around him and discussing how to make the world a better place. Without his “examined life” there was no point in living. So he suggested that Athens reward him for his service to society. The result, of course, is that they had no alternative and were forced to vote for a punishment of death.
There are a few investments that always pay significant dividends. One of those for me has been to utilize the last week of the year for evaluation. What did I do that was fruitful and effective? What did I do that was a bust? Where should I invest my time and energies in the new year? This BLOG is one area that I believe has significant potential.

Let me be quick to add that I do not believe my reward will be death as it was for Socrates. Some may desire that I die, but, they do not exercise fiat autonomy to execute that sentence so I will press on!

My life focus has been and is the Reformation & Renewal of the Evangelical Church in America. My focus will be toward accomplishing that objective. Only God can do this. However, He has chosen to use means. He has graciously permitted sinful mortals to participate in this glorious reality called "The Church". She is the Bride of Christ. He blesses efforts to adorn and beautify this Bride. I consider this a holy and honorable focus in which one may invest life's resources. So, we will do just that.

My profile will be to publish a weekly article on the Evangelical Church. Each article will feature an issue that I believe needs modification and/or correction for the church to be healthy and effective. In that same post I will include an antidote for that issue. My desire is that this BLOG not become a simple rant, always citing what is wrong but never offering any solutions. However, it is also true that if the issues are not defined and addressed, the slide into the abyss will continue. That statement is not hyperbole. Consult the work of David Olson www.theamericanchurch.org for a wealth of data that substantiates this thesis - - we are in a tailspin.

Finally, I quote from the work of Gary Johnson and Reginald Gleason, Reforming or Conforming:

The first priority of the church is not mission but confession. Any emphasis on being missional that is not already clear on what it means to be confessional will misrepresent the person and work of Christ and hinder the work of the church (p.235)
I plan to post this data each Monday. My prayer is that as you read these fifty-two posts on the church in 2010 that the insights offered are beneficial, exalt Christ and equip Shepherds (Andy Stanley not withstanding) to lead courageously and effectively.
“ecclesia reformata, semper reformanda.” The church reformed and always reforming.

In Grace,
tcf
IgniteUS, Inc.
www.igniteus.net
info@igniteus.net
803 776 5282




No comments:

Post a Comment